Student Honor Policy
1. I understand that when borrowing original ideas from any source, I am permitted to paraphrase this material; however, it is necessary to change the wording completely (not simply changing one or two words). It is also necessary to give credit to that source according to MLA style by parenthetical citation within the text of the research.
2. I understand that when borrowing original ideas from any source, I am permitted to use the material exactly as it appears in the original (i.e. word-for-word); however, it is necessary to identify inclusively all borrowed words by quotation marks. It is also necessary to give credit to that source according to MLA style by parenthetical citation within the text of the research.
3. I understand that when including universally known information (that is, information that I judge to be independently verifiable and not owned by any one particular author/editor), the ideas themselves would not require parenthetical citation; however, “direct” use of this type of information (word-for-word) would require quotation marks and appropriate source citation as in item 2 above.
4. I understand that the rules for citing sources and avoiding plagiarism have been thoroughly presented in class and have been available for inspection in various locations including the class handbook.
5. I understand that it is my responsibility to follow the rules for citing sources and avoiding plagiarism, and failure to heed these expectations may result in a judgment of academic dishonesty against me as set forth in the course syllabus and the BCC Student Code of Conduct.
6. I understand that the expectations for the research paper have been explicitly outlined and made available to me, that I have had ample opportunity to review this information and request assistance from the instructor, and that failure to heed some or all of the expectations may result in an unsatisfactory grade.
7. My signature below indicates that I take full responsibility for the work submitted under my name and agree to all statements herein.
COURSE NAME AND SECTION